Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week 7 Supplement: Barbara Allen













A very different version by noted cowboy singer, Don Edwards. Compare with how Jean Ritchie handles it in main post below--as Child Ballad #84. Don Edwards' version is a good one to learn for the group--but let's also include the two verses at the end, tucked in from our S&P Songbook, which to my mind remain the heart of the song.
Barbara Allen 
Don Edwards version          in D

It was in   the month of May
when all things they were bloomin'
Sweet William came   from the western state
and courted Barbry Allen 

It was in the month of June
when the green buds they were fallin’
Sweet William on his death bed lay
For the love of Barbry Allen

Sent his servant to the town
Where Barbara was a dwellin'
My master is sick and he sent for you
If your name be Barbara Allen

Slowly slowly she got up
Slowly she came nigh him
And all she said when she got there
Young man I thinks you’re a dyin’

Yes I’m sick I’m very sick
Death is on me dwellin’
No better no better I never will be 
if I can’t have Barbry Allen

Or yes you’re sick you’re very sick
Death is on you dwellin’
No better no better you never will be 
You can’t have Barbra Allen

She was on her highway home
Spied his corpse a comin’
Lay down lay down that corpse of clay
So that I may look upon him

The more she looked the more she mourned
Till she fell to the ground a crying’
Oh take me up and carry me home
For I   I thinks I’m dyin’ 

Oh father oh father go dig my grave
Go dig it long and narrow
Sweet William died for me today
And I will die for him tomorrow

She was buried in the old church yard
He was buried nigh her
On William’s grave there grew a red rose
On Barbara’s grew a green briar

They grew to the top of the old church wall
Till they could not grow any higher
They lapped and tied in a true lover’s knot
The rose grew round the briar

_______
 
Let's also include these two verses:


Don't you remember the other day 
When we were at the tavern,               
you toasted the ladies all around
And slighted Barbara Allen?


O yes, I remember the other day
When we were in the Tavern,            
I toasted the ladies all around
Gave my love to Barbara Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment